The Carolina Panthers have faced some pretty significant changes since their past loss against the Dallas Cowboys. General Manager Marty Hurley was fired the next day. He is most remembered by handing large contracts to players who didn’t deserve them. His draft is also looking pretty underwhelming besides Cam Newton. Wasting a second round pick on Jimmy Clausen is the ugliest problem. The other change coming this week is handing the ball off to Jonathan Stewart in a power running game. Cam Newton demanded change last week following the loss to the Cowboys, I wonder if this is what he meant. This could be the wrong week to elicit that new strategy as Steve Smith has been notorious for burning the Bears, averaging over 150 yards receiving in the past four games.
Wins: Week 2 – New Orleans +8
Losses: Week 1 – @Tampa Bay -2, Week 3 – New York Giants -29, Week 4 – @Atlanta -2, Week 5 – Seattle -4, Week 7 – Dallas -5
Key Injuries: Chris Gamble OUT, Jon Beason OUT
- Season Scoring Breakdown by Quarter: 1 Quarter 14, 2nd Quarter 31, 3rd Quarter 35, 4th Quarter 26
- Carolina had 7 plays for 12 yards in the first quarter v. Dallas.
- Carolina had 4 possessions in the first half v. Dallas. 2 redzone trips: 1 touchdown & 1 interception.
- 4th quarter drives: 75 yards, -1 yard, 20 yards, 16 yards
- Cam Newton has four touchdown passes and three rushing touchdowns in his past five games, with a qb rating of over 100 in two.
- Target breakdown on season: Steve Smith 47, Greg Olsen 39, Brandon LaFell 32, Louis Murphy 20, Mike Tolbert 15, Jonathan Stewart 10, DeAngelo Williams 7
- Target breakdown v. Dallas: Steve Smith 9, Louis Murphy 9, Brandon LaFell 8, Greg Olsen 5, Jonathan Stewart 4, Mike Tolbert 1
- Steve Smith targets by quarter v. Dallas: 1st quarter 4, 2nd quarter 1, 3rd quarter 1, 4th quarter 3
- Jonathan Stewart touches v. Dallas: Middle 9, Outside 1
- Dallas recorded two sacks on Carolina. One of those coming in the second to last play of the game. Carolina has allowed 15 sacks on the year through 6 games.
- 1st Down Play Selection:15 passes to 11 runs. (4th Quarter: 7 passes to 2 runs)
- 3rd Down Conversion Rate: Carolina 2-10, Dallas 6-14.
- 1st Redzone Trip: Rush 1 yard, Interception.
- 2nd Redzone Trip: Rush 2 yards, Pass 11 yards, Rush 0 yards, Incomplete Pass, TD Pass 5 yards.
- 3rd Redzone Trip: Incomplete Pass, DAL Penalty 14 yards, Incomplete Pass, Incomplete Pass, DAL Penalty 3 yards, TD Rush 2 yards.
Follow on Twitter @Kyle_gatlin