New Trier struggles in 47-41 loss

chi-new-trier-trevians-20140312For New Trier, beating Loyola on Wednesday was the highest of highs – an overtime win against their neighborhood rivals. And coming off a big game that meant so much to all of them, this young Trevians team was cautioned against the possibility of a let-down game.

“We spent a lot of time talking about how it’s very easy to come out flat in this game especially after an emotional game,” coach Scott Fricke said.

New Trier came back from as many as 11 down but their offense struggled in the closing minutes of their tough 47-41 loss to the U-High Maroons. U-High was led by Jameel Alausa who scored 19 points including the game-sealing free-throws in the closing seconds.

Nothing seemed to go right for New Trier, who started the first quarter 0-for-5 from the field and the second quarter 0-for-6. Their 2-3 zone defense kept them in the game, but they still trailed 21-16 at halftime.

“When you’re missing a lot of shots you look bad regardless of how you’re playing,” said Fricke. “I didn’t think our energy was there. I’m disappointed. Real disappointed in this game.”

After going down 34-25 heading into the fourth quarter, New Trier went on a 9-1 run, helped by five U-High turnovers. The Trevians got another great contribution from their bench, led by senior Jack French, who scored four of his seven points during that run. They cut the lead to one with 4:50 left in the game, but that was as close as it got.

“We had three possessions in a row where we could have taken the lead or tie it,” said senior Dylan Horvitz, who played his strongest game since coming back from a high-ankle sprain. “And when we didn’t, our energy was shot down and then they took the game from there.”

The Trevians were led by junior Andrew Kirkpatrick, who scored 10 points and was named one of New Trier’s tournament MVPs along with sophomores Spencer Boehm and Ciaran Brayboy.

New Trier finished the tournament in fourth place with a 2-2 record. They begin conference play on Friday against Glenbrook South.